After dinner a couple of days ago, I realized it was Monday and I should throw something together for Family Home Evening. I asked Jarom what he thought Lydi needed to learn. He answered "obedience" without hesitation. She is a really good girl but definitely has her two year old moments and its hard to get her to listen when she's in that mode. An idea popped into my head and then I called Lydi in feeling a little guilty for my lack of preparation. We sang our song and had prayer and then we played "mama and daddy says" (like Simon says). We started out with touching our toes and eventually worked into putting away toys. Most importantly we learned the word "OBEY" and Lydi liked to say it.
Anyway... yesterday (Tuesday) Lydi was having trouble eating her lunch. She was covering her face stubbornly and so I asked her, "what did we do in Family Home Evening last night?"
She said, "touch our toes".
I said, "Yes thats right! Because you OBEYED mama,right?" She agreed and then I said, "so if I say, 'Eat your apples Lyd!, what do you do?
She said, "I OBEY!!!" and then she promptly ate the rest of her apples, which never happens!
It was such a little thing, and trust me, I am not the most diligent Family Home Evening person. But I realized that taking the time to teach your kids, with both parents if possible, all your attention on them, really has an affect on them and unites you as a family. I spend most of my mommy life juggling things and running to and fro, a lot of guilt involved since I always want to be better. So this was a wonderful reward, a little thing that was big to me.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I totally agree with you. Instead of feeling guilty though, if you just do SOMETHING, even if it's throwing together a teaching moment in five minutes it makes such a huge difference. They really internalize that one on one time at this age. Good for you and Jarom, and Lydi too! What a good little girl!
That was such a sweet story! I look forward to little moments like that. And you guys must feel such a reward knowing she is listening and learning from you. Good job guys!!
yes well, luke leaves our family home evening convinced that Daddy baptized Jesus hahaha lets hope he will start to have as good an outcome as little lyd! I love family home evening. I always feel better about life when we take the time do teach!
I love it when I have moments like that with my boys. You're right, it makes the simple effort of teaching them SO rewarding! Good idea for a lesson. I might steal it.
Post a Comment