Thursday, April 16, 2009

Potty Training 101




For most this will be a boring post, but I thought it could help anyone who is about to start potty training.

About 3 weeks ago I woke up and thought, today I am going to potty-train Lydi. People always made this potty training thing out to be rocket science so I was a little nervous but I was pretty confident Lydi was ready.

We started out the day watching Elmo's Potty Time DVD and making a potty chart. I put some Disney Princess underwear on her and showed her the potty and we talked about "Lydi's special potty day" all day. Day 1 goal: pee in the potty. Bribe: Snow White Barbie. GOAL ACHIEVED- after 3 pee-pee accidents and a lot of juice- she went! She looked up at me and said MOM! Snow White Barbie!







Next day's goal: Poop in the potty. Bribe: All I had was candy at this point and this along with Barbie stickers worked well enough for her. She had a couple of accidents but was getting used to sitting on the potty and going pee. Finally at the end of the day she actually did it! GOAL ACHIEVED. At this point I am totally gloating in my head, wow my kid is a genius and I am the best mom ever... haha, HUMBLING came next.


She spent the next week not going very often in the potty and choosing her floor to do her business- only one poop accident that happened to be when Jarom was watching her! Hahaha! I thought that was hilarious. BIGGEST MISTAKE: getting overly frustrated with the accidents. It really set her back. I guess she figured why in the heck should I go in the potty and wear panties when it makes mom and dad get mad! It took a few days of us not getting upset and explaining what an accident is while celebrating excessively when she went successfuly to get her back on track.


She got back on track with the pee but wouldn't go poop. We knew she needed to go. So the bribe: BELLE BARBIE. She knew we had one and we constantly talked about it. She could only get it for poop. One time she squatted and pooped right by the toilet -I totally thought that counted but Jarom was more strict. He said - no way she has to go in the toilet. After about a week, she DID IT! She did it all on her own! We were in the other room and she ran in screaming, "I GO! I GO!" Sure enough, there was a present in the toilet. So we screamed and hugged her and ran and got the Belle Barbie. I think she stared at it for hours.

Since then she consistently tells us she needs to go and does a great job. She even does it in public toilets! I am proud of her because she did learn pretty quick. The last hurdle is staying dry during nap and night time. She hasn't quite done that yet.


THE FUNNIEST MOMENT was before a nap. She had on a pull-up and she had a nasty accident. #2 EVERYWHERE. I put her in the bath and rinsed it off. Then I started to fill the bath water and left her for a sec to rinse out her dress. When I came back she was swatting the water and saying "no!" and then she would move really quickly to the other side of the bath and repeat. I asked her what in the world she was doing and she said, "MOM! I'M SCARED OF MY POOP!" I guess there was a floatie. Hahaha...


Its been an adventure. I can't believe what a big girl she is.

3 comments:

RonJohn said...

Great post, now can i just send Noah your way for a few weeks and u can just return him to me all trained. haha

Mauzy Fam said...

Wow, that is an adventure. Sounds like she's got a pretty good handle though. I used to get upset with Dallin about accidents and I think it set him back too. It's been WONDERFUL, a whole different ball game with Bryce. We don't fret over accidents and he's pretty confident and stays dry and poops in the potty all the time now. Bryce always stays dry for naps, but it may take a while with night time. I think some kids need to grow up more before they can hold it all night.

coolhandluke said...

That's awesome! I tried not to laugh too loudly to draw attention to me at work... We're halfway there with our little girl (she goes #2 in the toilet), but haven't taken the plunge to get her completely there yet... we'll have to check out that elmo dvd, she loves elmo.