Monday, June 29, 2009

Jarom is 30!

Yep he is over the hill! j/k Don't want to offend any of you oldies out there! He likes to point out to me that he still looks very young, which he does. I knew I had to do something superb for his 30th (and Fathers Day since they were the same day). The problem is my husband is very hard to surprise. He asks a million questions and always plans out things in advance. But this year- I actually surprised him. I told him that maybe we'd go out to eat or something for his birthday and always tried to really downplay what was going to happen. I decided I would make him think his b-day was going to be pretty lame. Little did he know I was a busy little bee trying to arrange with his fam a little trip to Thatcher to see everyone. Whenever he was gone I was on the phone with my in-laws planning or packing up stuff.

On Friday I hid stuff in the car trunk while he was gone in the van and then when he got back, I switched it the van. I left to "do errands" but I was really hunting down his birthday present (A Ruger 10-22 that he had saved some money for) When I got back I told him casually, hey I want to take you somewhere, just us and the kids, for your birthday! I made him wear a blindfold and he was humiliated in the car. Of course he was firing off questions and also taking note of where we were (that blasted keen sense of direction). I was going to try to confuse him but it was getting late in the day so I decided to just get there. When we were about to Superior he said he had to go to the bathroom so I knew I couldn't keep the charade up for much longer. I let him take off the blindfold and all he could see was miles of highway and cacti. When I told him we were heading to Thatcher and his whole family (except Preston and Tristan- we missed you two!) were going to meet us there, he actually had a great reaction and was really excited and surprised. He was also able to hang out with Matt some, his good bud. My mom met us there and my brother and sister-in-law came down with their kids too. Lydi got a pedicure from Aunt Rach, Jarom squeezed in some poker with dad and Justin, Lydi and Jack got to play with almost all their cousins, we went out to eat, and ended the night with my mother-in-laws earthquake cake. It was a lot of fun. Here are some pics from the weekend:
Humiliated!


After he found out where we were going!





Jarom is such a great dad and husband, we're so lucky :)

2 comments:

Mauzy Fam said...

How fun! What a great surprise and I can't believe you pulled it off so well. I like that he was the driver after he knew where you were going. Jarom - Happy 30th you old man!! By the way, you are looking older - who told you that you still look young?? ha ha...just kidding.

Bree said...

Happy 30th gramps!!! You are so sneaky and creative Mel. What a fun surprise!!!