Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Mexico- Visiting Dad

It was on a Sunday evening when we were all visiting that we got a call from Lamar Jr. He explained that dad had been in a horse accident and was pretty out of it- not remembering things and very confused. We were all very upset, especially because none of us had seen him in 6 years or more. There are so many emotions surrounding the relationship with dad but we all love him and were extremely concerned. After talking to him and Fabiola on the phone that night, we decided we needed to go see him. It turned out to be quite the trip! I mean when do you ever have a trip with just your adult siblings and mom sans kids? They elected to drive my van because it was the oldest and the least likely to be a valuable steal haha... Selle, Travis and mom were extremely nervous about going to Mexico. I was excited! (and a little nervous to be honest, especially since I was 34 weeks pregnant!)
 
We arrived in Hermosillo in the afternoon and after figuring out our hotel situation (haha) we went to the hospital. Dad was definitely not himself but he was kind of funny- we kind of decided the medicine he was on was like truth serum! Dad had no filter! That's not like him- he is usually so put together. Nonetheless we enjoyed his company immensely and he seemed to enjoy ours. He kept saying how he couldn't believe we all came. It was really cool that we got to meet little Arletta. I felt a connection to her even though she is distant from us and there is a language barrier. I was really happy my mom came. I know it wasn't easy for her.
 
I am so grateful for the relationship I have with my family. I'm grateful for a mom who allowed, and even promoted me to love my dad unconditionally. I've realized through the years that our relationship as siblings is closer than most. I don't say that boastful- I think we have just been through a lot and have had to cling to one another. I am so grateful for them! I am so grateful my dad is ok too. It took him a bit, a surgery and a lot of recuperation, but he is back coaching and doing great. I'm glad he has a wife that loves him and takes care of him. I'm also glad my mom has a husband that was understanding and encouraged her to go with us.
 


























No comments: