Wednesday, February 18, 2009

stimulus or socialist?

I'm not one to write political posts but I heard something today that I actually believe and felt I needed to share. I say "actually" believe because I typically don't believe anyone in the media anymore. But today I had a unique experience. As I was driving to work, I listened to Obama's plan to help the housing industry. On the way home I turned on Glenn Beck. I am going to somewhat paraphrase and give the main gist of what he said since I really wish everyone could have heard what he had to say. The government is getting bigger and bigger. They are trying to wipe up all the messes that were made in the past few years, we all know this. Beck compared the action of bailing out the banks and dishing out money to people in trouble, to a bad parent. A bad parent who gives in to all their child's wishes, never says no and just cleans up their messes without ever teaching, without ever doing the HARDER thing to do. The HARDER thing to do is to take away the toy, to put them in time-out, to teach, to allow them to feel pain so they become self-reliant and can stand on their own two feet someday. Beck went on to ask- what if we do NOTHING? What if we let the banks fail and the economy crash? Well we'd face something a lot worse than our grandparents and great-grandparents did. A depression would be inevitable and it would be very hard. We'd have to start over again, re-build, probably suffer quite a bit as a country and as individuals. We'd have to hurt. But we'd have a future because we'd have our freedom. All these bail-outs, tax credits, stimulus checks etc... seem so great. Especially for us, we are facing foreclosure as we speak. But I am way more concerned about Lydi and Jackson having a future and our country maintaining its righteous principals of freedom and prosperity than receiving a $400/ year tax break and a check in the mail every so often. So we need to stop being scared and face the natural cycle- the cycle that whatever goes up must come down. We need to be more concerned about values and freedom than buying the best HDTV or making sure our kids look the cutest. Its always a temptation for me to WANT what everyone else has but in the eternal perspective or even if you're looking at 10 years down the road, those things just don't matter AT ALL. We need to let this country bleed a little to re-gain what we once had and maybe we'll all be a little more grateful, a little more humble and BETTER because of it. We shouldn't let our fear destroy our future. I don't mean at all to sound haughty and judgmental because I am SCARED out of my mind when I think about stuff sometimes. But I believe in this message and wanted to share it.

9 comments:

Lady Robason said...

I believe it to. It's completely like all the scripture stories. the PRIDE cycle, you know. I think our gimmme gimme attitude and our ability to have have have has finally caught up with us as a society. And let's talk about the "you mess up and get a handout" message we are teaching our children. Totally scary. I guess it's time to make a change in our own attitudes and pass that on to our children. A big job, I hope I'm ready for it. Yikes!

Mary Taylor said...

I totally agree.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Sorry Random comment...
but I never thought of it that way and I think that is the truest way to look at our country!! We are way too spoiled and just expect things to be handed to us because we are Americans and can't fail. I love your thought that you want a future for you children!! Awesome

Travis and Britni said...

AMEN

Mauzy Fam said...

How can our strength be tested if we don't have the trials? You put it all so perfectly!!

Jenn said...

I totally agree.

Bree said...

If I had a nickel for everytime we've had this conversation....

I agree. I will say that I tend to think Glenn Beck is very dramatic, but he makes a good point. Did you read that article that brought up the fact that if you spent a million dollars a day from the time Christ was born until today, you'd still spend less than what they just spent in this bail out. Crazy!!! I am all for accountability and I think a lot of people need to be more accountable for their actions. How long have the church leaders been telling people to get out of debt and live within our means??? HELLO people!!!
As far as bailing out the banks goes, I'm going to say I'm ok with that because I work for one. ha! = ) just kidding. I'm pretty sure I'd make more filing for unemployment than I do working, but that's a whole different topic.

RonJohn said...

"Its the end of the world as we know it..."