I certainly haven't been perfect at this- I said a girl on the internet looked like white trash and then I quickly followed by saying but she is such a good dancer! haha... Its harder than I thought but its amazing how much just being aware has done for me. If I have a judgement pop into my head I quickly try to think of something positive instead. The most surprising result has been my own self-confidence. I guess as I'm looking for the good in others, it makes me feel good about myself. Since I'm trying not to think negatively about others, I've stopped thinking negatively about myself. I was the queen of thoughts like "I'm such a horrible mother" and "she does that so well, but thats probably because she isn't as busy as me..." haha what a cop out, I know!
Since my little experiment, I don't feel the need to compare and it is so refreshing! So maybe I'll graduate to just saying, "that girl is such a good dancer" and get rid of the white trash part. Practice makes perfect!
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is inspiring.
Thanks Mel.
(Let's chat soon. Very soon!)
Ok this might be random, but a little while ago I was talking to a lady about humanitarian work. She had just returned from a humanitarian trip to Nepal and she told me that the one thing that struck her the most while she was there was how kind everybody was to one another. She said that strangers greet each by bowing and saying "namaste," which translates to "the divine in me, recognizes the divine in you." That really stuck with me and I find myself repeating that in my head when I run into someone who I might otherwise judge or write off and thought it kinda relates to this.
See. Told ya it was random. Good luck!
Post a Comment